Ramblings of a late 20-something

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Finding Balance

Normally I only find myself here, writing, when things are bad, or when I'm depressed or being melodramatic. I have been depressed this week, so I haven't written. Things have been going pretty well. The reason? I found balance.

I used to be a laidback person. Even at work I was a flexible-go-with-the-flow kind of girl. I didn't get rattled easily and I got along with everyone...both at work and at home. Recently I've been different. I get ticked off at the smallest request from my editor, and my husband can drive me insane just by saying, "Why don't you try rebooting your computer?" (This is because he knows absolutely nothing about computers yet still tries to gives advice.)

I think part of the reason for this change is the way I spend my days. I work at my desk all day and rarely leave the house. I go out for groceries once a week, and maybe to run errands one or two other days. I don't have many people to hang out with around here, except my husband, so I spend a lot of time alone. If I'm not alone, I'm with the husband. Spending that much time, just the two of us, can suddenly make even the most mundane comments annoying.

This past weekend, however, we got away. We drove to the mountains, to this cabin in the snow...and drank ourselves silly with some friends--real people! Though it took me awhile to return to the land of the living on Sunday, it was worth it just to have time with other people...to get away from our apartment and to be a "couple."

This week I have tried to get back to my laid back personality. I liked that person. I don't like the person I find myself becoming...if my editor asks me to find out for her what happened in the constellation Cassiopeia in 1572, I'm just gonna do it and not complain to everyone around me. If my husband gets home at 10:00 tonight because he left work late and had to drive 2 hours, I'm not gonna complain.

I'm gonna stay balanced. I"m going to exercise, talk to some friends, remember to look outside once in a while...and find myself again.

1 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

Balance is the key to everything. You'll find it. Just don't let all the noise crowd you out.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home